Thursday, April 15, 2010

No more vacation!

Tunes: Soft Rock Star

Well, to the best of my knowledge, there are no more vacations until school is out. Most of my uni readers in the States finish in less than a month, and that must be exciting. I just used "uni" for university. Been spending too much time around this European English. Just learned last week that they say "takeaway" instead of "take-out." All I'm going to say, is the main Wikipedia article says "Take-out," and everything else redirects to that same page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-out

Oh yeah, so solid block until exams. That's from today until June 4th, I believe? Shouldn't be too bad. I mean, I've been spoiled by Las Fallas, followed by Pascua, followed by this thing called "Reading Week." Reading week is the equivalent to the book fair in US elementary schools. All the English philology students read books, or something of the sort, and write a mini report. Everyone in the department mocks it, and everyone outside the department envies it.

This week, my underneath neighbors have been remodeling what seems to be their entire flat. I thought I knew something about remodeling, but apparently not. Hitting things really hard with hammers from 8am to 5pm every day is how it's done. I'm pretty impressed, though. That guy really gets after it.

Today's pretty chill--overcast, with the sun poking out from time to time, my plant slowly blooming, working on a philosophy paper, and a chocolate/peanut butter-covered banana is sitting in my freezer for later. I'm about to chat with an amazing friend on Skype, then talk to my UT advisor on Skype too. I love technology. Tonight, I plan on attending the reading of my English teacher's book that was just published.

I don't want to fall into any routines while I'm here. It's about the half-way point of my time in Spain, and I know there's plenty more for me to see.

Last night, I went to a friend's surprise party. We had a tea party, complete with very strong Irish tea, and many sweets. It was Marina's 23rd, and the entire party fit her. It was enjoyable to see how every detail, from the setting to the food to the people to the gifts, was perfectly fitted to Marina. Her friends know her well, and showed it to her last night.

Well, that's about it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment