Tuesday, January 26, 2010

First Day

Tunes: Random european techno playing in the lounge.
Okay, so I'm in the hostel, and I've already had one go at the city to get my sim card. It was a solid experience. The people at Vodafone didn't speak English, which is exactly what I wanted. I was able to get everything I needed, and while I was talking to the Vodafone rep, a lady who was also shopping helped me with some specifics (she has a vodafone).
(BTW, my number is 673-180-755. I think I get free incoming texts.)

The lady's name is Heidi, and she has a lot of energy. She found out that I'm at the university, and apparently her daughter is too! So, she gave me her information because she studies French and English, and figured we could do an "intercambio." After some talk, she insisted that I come to see her shop so she could give me 2 maps and a Valencia phonebook. She also invited me to a "happy hour" on friday at 7PM to meet some locals. I'm stoked. She didn't speak a lick of english, but I was able to understand about 95% of what she was saying.

I realized, after noticing many prolonged glances in my direction, that I stand out:
-I have a red beard
-I wear a mountain hardware jacket, not a peacoat
-I'm tall
-My jeans aren't dark
-I'm blonde. I've seen about 3 blonde people, and they were either on the plane or the metro.
-(I'm using a city map)

So... this is really fun. I'm going to go to the store to buy a power adapter and some food for dinner (unless if I stumble upon a tasty looking restaurant). I'll upload photos when I have power for my computer.

1 comment: