Okay, not enough time to post yet, but below are the blogs I wrote on my flight. Didn't have internet until I got here.
1/25/10 3:59PM
Tunes: The Autumn Film & Goldfinger. Odd mix.
I’m sitting in the Dulles airport, waiting for the leg to Zurich. I passed my CLEP examination, and my sister got accepted to the UT Health Science Center for PA school. I like how she put it: “when life gives you lemons, God gives you the water of life.” He is providing in more than these two ways. I don’t enjoy sitting in the terminals—there aren’t any balconies or open-air lounges. Also, I can’t bring myself to pay for WiFi, so I’m going to stick to my books (not a complaint). Speaking of, I have the last 200 pages of Atlas Shrugged. I didn’t want to bring the entire book with me, so I tore it. Painful.
I have great music and two Tylenol PM for my next flight—thanks Glen & Stacy. If I can manage, I will sleep on the flight over, and wake up at 8:00AM local time. God willing, I will ease into my new time zone.
It’s fun listening to all of the different languages and seeing the different styles of dress. Pretty soon, I will be the one who’s interesting to listen to and stare at. The 35-day journey is very rich in my mind, as I have been mulling over it during my flight. Can I fast from America?
Highlights of my Austin-DC flight:
1) Flying over, through, and then under the large clouds while listening to Metric. I wrote about it.
2) “The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek him shall praise the Lord! May your hearts live forever!” Psalm 22:26
Well, I’m off to read about Jesus’s death, Atlas Shrugged, and and talk to this Spanish family sitting next to me.
1/26/10 8:45AM Zurich
Tunes: Swiss German
Turns out, Tylenol PM doesn’t stop babies from crying or planes from bouncing. Probably got about 45 total minutes of sleep, but I feel pretty good. Praise the lord for bathrooms, deodorant, and fresh shirts. This airport is stunning—I’ve been mostly wandering around, but I’m going to grab a coffee, a bite, and a book. Mucho gusto, Europe.
10:39AM Zurich, terminal A71
Tunes: Snowfall
I had the inter-continental breakfast: One kaffee, one frischner orangensaft, and one gipfel (Coffee, fresh orange juice, and a croissant). The coffee was amazing—strong like espresso, but very smooth and round taste. I thought it was funny that they had an “American Breakfast,” which consisted of sausage, eggs, bacon, hash browns, orange juice, and coffee. I guess we really do eat that much…
Psalm 23 kept me company. I’m not sure of the exchange rate, so I haven’t purchased anything more than breakfast. That is quite a feat, after passing multiple chocolate shops and stores with 50% off signs. Tricky airport advertising.
I love watching the many different airport cars dance about. There seems to be a different car for every task, and they are waltzing in the snow. I depart at noon-05, and will be in Valencia at 2PM. Time to read more about Francisco d’Anconia, and his spectacle of September 2nd.
Skål
15 years ago

i can't believe you tore a book.
ReplyDeletebut this is so exciting to read about your travels, hope it keeps up. prayin' for ya. :)
I knew you were going to have to tear it. A week before break was over i had this poignant mental image of that huge book being destroyed by such an event. I revisted that image as I sat here in the computer lab on campus and i allowed myself to giggle.
ReplyDeleteJosh- keep this up for sure. My sister wrote a blog the entire time she was on her around-the-world cruise and it was amazing. Be sure to post pictures as well!
ReplyDelete