Monday, March 1, 2010

It's about time I let people know what's up

Tunes: Angel. From the Abbey Road Session. Solid tune.

I can't make too many excuses, but I've been more or less out of internet for a few days.

Today is the first day of March, marking the beginning of FALLAS! Google search Las Fallas, and you'll get a slight grasp on what it is here. Basically, for the whole month, there will be a ton of fireworks, lots of food, too many people, and lots of burning things. There will be a mascletá every day. In fact, I'm going to one right after posting this email. I'll try to get a good video.

I went to Sueca this weekend, and had a great time. My friend Josep (pronounced geeusep) had me at his place: very nice flat near the center of the town. Saturday night, we went to see a movie with some classmates, then went to a local discotec for some drinks/dancing. Sunday was awesome. Woke up, and had breakfast with his family. We talked about a variety of things over freshly-squeezed oj, strong coffee, croissants, traditional pumpkin buñelos, and croissaunts.

Tiny highlight of the morning: standing on his balcony, hearing the central church's bells sing, and watching two men struggle and argue while unloading a mattress from a truck.

After breakfast, Josep and I went for about a 3-hour walk around Sueca. He and his father go on walks around the town every Sunday evening, and Josep showed me all of his childhood favorite spots. I fell in love with all of the architecture. And, as some of you know, I can never keep my hands off of things. I wanted to touch every ornate, large door knocker on the immaculate doors. At one place, I accidentally let the knocker fall, and an old lady came out. I tried so hard to get a picture of her, but she wouldn't give into my pleading. Let me try to sketch it for you:
The door was about 12-feet tall, with two heart-shaped knockers (will post a picture). The lady who came out had completely white hair, a blue apron, and a nervously curious smile on. She was a child compared to the door she stood beside, and she seemed to fit so well into the scene. It was great.

I have some other pictures of various sites.

We came home for lunch, and boy was it a feast. We had bread, a salad, cockles, black wine, and chicken & pork paella. For dessert, we had coffee/tea, a very large mocha tarta, pineapple slices, and ice cream. It just kept on coming. Lunch lasted for about 3 hours.

Josep's family was so kind and generous. His uncle, aunt, and cousins came over to talk with me, and they invited me to go traveling to Galicia with them during Easter. Not sure if I'll go, but it was very sweet. After very much talking, I had to leave to get home! I had a ton of homework, and had to make it to a church service. They wanted me to stay another night, so I had to really work to leave. That's the kind of family I like.

TIME TO RUN. Gotta lose my hearing at the mascletá.

No comments:

Post a Comment