Tunes: [ ] by Bon Iver w/ Sarah Siskind
Just earlier, I was thinking about what sort of character I would be if I were to live in a co-op here. If French House was in Spain, which type of foreigner would I be? Kind of a fun thing to consider. I often walk without a shirt off, and since it’s been cold I’ve been lugging my large blanket around with me. My hair is getting longer, but I don’t know a good place to get it cut and I don’t enjoy using product, so I sometimes wear a beanie to fix my bed hair. (I’ll eventually cave) I eat peanut butter often, I drink water from the tap, and I battle to improve my Spanish by practicing on my roommates every chance I get.
I'm in (almost) full swing with classes. The school system here is pretty backwards compared to ours. You go to a bunch of different classes, and then you pick which ones you like the most, and then you register for them weeks later. Not how I like to do things, so it's a good stretch.
I went to my first English literature class (I need my E316K credit). I came a bit early (which nobody does), and I sat in the right side of the class room. One-by-one, everyone filed in, but they all sat on the left side. Apparently, that's the side the teacher uses. So the teacher walked in, saw me, and asked me if I was new. Yes. Erasmus? Yes. From where? The United States. She flipped! "WE HAVE A NATIVE!!!" she screamed multiple times.
She made me come to the front of the class, and asked me multiple questions, tried to embarrass me, and had the students ask me questions too. I think that took up about half of our class time. Unfortunately, I was going to her other English lit course as well, and she did the same thing there too.
What a first class, eh?
Anyway, lots of smiles over here. I believe things are falling into place, and it's bringing me joy.
Catch you guys later. I have places to be, things to do. About damn time.
Skål
15 years ago

so good being foreign!! btw i took a random walk the other day around the streets of steds...people honked at me. attempted to sit in a tree and ponder but it didnt work. im not flexible enough to get into a tree and ponder. rather do it on the ground. also i swung a on a swing (swinged?) with my eyes closed and it made me sea sick. it was a great adventure!
ReplyDeleteAwesomeee
ReplyDeleteI don't know why people honked at you. They don't understand.
i am making you something warm. i need an address.
ReplyDeleteNATIVE!! so freaking funny!
ReplyDeletealso, tomorrow after church i plan to kayak the pedernales since it is moderately flowing and doesn't be like this too often. so i will report back to you with my experience. glad you are having joy.
fight the good fight.
Shannon:
ReplyDeleteCalle Del Explorador Andrés, 41. Pta. 9
46022 Valencia, Spain
Caleb! That sounds like so much fun!! Definitely tell me how it is.